Thursday, March 15, 2012

California Adventures - Day 4

So, this morning I was so anxious for another great breakfast that I didnt even think about taking a picture. We actually just had the chocolate chip and raisin scone Paula cooked this morning (it was amazing again) and didnt stay for the real breakfast because we were too full--not used to having huge breakfast meals. Then, we headed around the corner to the Invisible Children headquarters. I read you could stop in for a tour but now with all the publicity they have had to stop tours for now because of the overwhelming amount of people showing up to their building--it was a bummer but we got to meet some cool people and they gave us a bunch of Kony 2012 posters. I will definitely volunteer there when I move here. 

Next, we were off to the zoo. I didnt take a lot of pictures because we did the bus tour because the zoo is incredibly huge it would take forever to walk the whole thing and most of the animals were on the opposite side BUT the two exhibits I wanted to go back to was the pandas and hippos. We saw a few more along the way.

 


This was the most interesting thing at the zoo! Below you can see a dog and a cheetah living together--we were like what in the world? I had no idea cheetahs were extremely anxious animals but I definitely saw it because the cheetah was sitting there literally pacing back and forth...SO the dog and cheetah have been raised up together since they were born. The dog is there to calm the cheetah and the dogs trust the humans which then makes the cheetah trust the humans (zoo keepers). The zoo has 4 different odd relationship animal groups--this is the only we saw. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. They really care about the animals, having the dog there just to help the cheetah be less anxious and calm.
 
 


Ok, so I cannot tell you how amazing the hippos were. There were two babies about a year old and they had this log that they would push around the water while trying to grab it (ofcourse they never could) and they would try to jump on top of it--we literally watched them do this for 15 minutes, it was the most adorable and funny thing ever. 
 



Next, we went over to the pandas, one of the most endangered species in the world.


This one was just sleeping on its back--so cute. She would raise her head up for an occasional picture.

I just really fell in love with pandas--I have always liked them but have never seen them before. This one was so funny, all the bamboo was sitting on the rock behind him then all of a sudden he just reached behind him and pulled it all down on top of him it was so funny. They are amazing creatures. You can see his left ear is smaller from a fight :(

They said this one eats more bamboo than any of them--he loves his bamboo. The zoo provides all different types of bamboo and eucalyptus, providing them with the best diet possible.
 

Then, we ate lunch at Alberts at the zoo--and it was amazing. I remembered to take pics of this meal. There are two things my mom and I love - blue cheese and hummus. So, when we saw they had blue cheese hummus we were like WHAT?!
 

My "duck-confit macaroni and cheese". Slow roasted duck with aged white cheddar over elbow macaroni and breadcrumbs on top. Yeah it was delicious. 

Mom's California French Dip

After we left the zoo we headed back into Balboa Park. We ended up just going to the Natural History Museum to see the Titanic exhibit and the Museum of Photographic Arts. You couldnt take pictures in either of them :/ Both were amazing. At the beginning of the Titanic exhibit we got replica Titanic boarding passes--with the name of a real passenger and all the info about them--what class, how old, where from, why they were on the Titanic and who they were traveling with. I was a lady from England who was 28 in second class. Then, at the end of the exhibit we got to see if our person survived or died. Both of ours were survivors!

Some shots from Balboa Park
 
 

As we left we stopped at the tea pavilion and got hot tea. I had Blue Lady tea it was delicious.

After we left Balboa we went back to the Inn for a bit then headed out to see San Diego State. It was beautiful of what we could see. Then we ate dinner and explored the Gaslamp District some more tonight. Then, I couldnt resist going to Extroidinary Desserts one more time. This time I got a chocolate explosion muffin, needless to say it was amazing.





It is our last night at the Inn--we are headed to La Jolla tomorrow and staying there for the night. Gonna miss the inn so much--it is so cozy, going to miss our chef Paula and ofcourse the vintage coulette tub the most. I booked mom a massage ahead of time for in the morning and surprised her to thank her for the amazing trip (I am such a good kid :) ) Then, we will head to La Jolla and on the way visit University of California and a few other places. Then, ill take hopefully my best pictures at La Jolla Cove at sunset then try to capture some star trails at night. Tomorrow night I hope to just sit on the beach and look at the stars, trying to soak up as much time here as I can get. Trying not to let the thought of leaving ruin the time we have left. I just really love it. I would have rather been in Cali with my mom then at the beach with friends in Florida for spring break ANY day. Florida just doesnt cut it for me ;)

"Don't take any time for grated. For right now is the oldest you've ever been & the youngest you'll ever be." 

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment