Monday, March 19, 2012

California Adventures - Afterthoughts

First, I forgot to share some of my California playlist that has been on my ipod for probably 2 years. It pretty much has every great song written about or has to do with California. And yes, I listened to it the whole way there, while we were and definitely now that I am back. Here are a few of my favorites:

  1. California Dreamin - The Mamas & Papas (the most obvious)
  2. California - Phantom Planet (OC theme song)
  3. Going to California - Led Zeppelin
  4. California Stars - Billy Bragg & Wilco
  5. Hotel California - The Eagles 
  6. More Bounce in California - Soul Kid
  7. California - Hawk Nelson
  8. San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair) - Scott McKenzie (All time favorite)
  9. California - Joni Mitchell
  10. California Soul - Marlena Shaw
  11. California - Shawn Mullins
  12. Dear California - Vanessa Carlton
  13. California Sun - The Ramones
  14. California Girls - The Beach Boys
  15. Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Next, my jumbled-emotional-crazy thoughts about my future in Cali. I feel like I have a few options and know the right thing will happen I just feel so strongly about getting back there--the best way to describe it is I feel like there is a magnet just pulling me there. I cant even pin point what I love about it so much, it is just the over all feel of me being there. Here are the options I have thought about so far:
  • Option 1: This could be a stretch, but moving there just for this summer and getting an internship or a job there so I can really get a feel of what it would be like to live there. Then, come back and start school in the fall. This is my favorite option, however it depends on my GPA at the end of the semester and if it is high enough to be able to get into the graphic design program in fall.
  • Option 2: Go live there this summer and if I come back and dont get into the graphic design program for fall I could take that semester to work on my minor in business/photography and get those courses taken care of and then start in the Spring. I know it might not sound like the best option on paper, but I talked with my adviser today and she said starting in Spring is not that bad.
  • Option 3: Take summer classes in Cali--just like 2 core courses so it would raise my GPA for when I come back in the fall and have a better chance of getting into the program. This is basically like the first one and I think it would be good for me to experience having a job and taking a class or two there to get a feel for everything.
I just cant shake the feeling of what it felt like leaving. That awful feeling where your throat starts closing up, holding back tears. As of where I would want to live, I dont know. I honestly would be fine with anywhere and wouldnt mind commuting to LA if I had to for an internship. My top choice would be Laguna Beach or Encinitas--just because they are more authentic beach towns and have a smaller feel. But, University Heights is a good area in San Diego I wouldnt mind living in either. Or the Silverlake community in Los Angeles. There is just something about the true beach towns and the beaches themselves (like crystal cove) that are so inspiring--I guess because you can tell it is all natural, no one has made those beaches or altered them. This may sound weird but I feel close to the sky when I am there, I cant explain it.



No comments:

Post a Comment