Monday, March 12, 2012

California Adventures - Day 1

Well, where do I begin? We had a pretty long and very early morning of traveling--first we flew to Charlotte then changed planes and had a 4 1/2 hour flight into San Diego. There is just something about airports that I absolutely love-- I think its all the diverse people all going different places and its so mysterious because I just want to ask all of them where they are going. And I wonder why. I love people watching. And I think the airport is just very inspiring-- it makes me feel free, like I have the power to potentially go anywhere I wanted to. Anyways, enough of my airport rant. We landed in San Diego about 10 AM their time and we stepped out into the most perfect weather you could imagine. It was about 60 degrees- but a warm 60 and no humidity whatsoever. We couldnt check into our Inn until 2 so we grabbed some lunch--had some amaziiing mac & cheese (weird for Cali, right?) that had grilled chicken, bacon, and bread crumbs on top. And the best organic tomato bisque I have ever tasted. Then, we got to check in to our luxurious and magical bed and breakfast off of 4th ave, the Britt Scripps Inn. Here is a few pictures of the front and the garden out back. Pictures of our room are towards the bottom. Im in love to say the least.











After we checked in, we rested for about an hour because we were both exhausted from little sleep the night before since we had to get up at 3 AM. Then, we headed to Old Towne. This was definitely a cup of culture--straight from Mexico. They call it the birthplace of California. It was filled with Spanish architecture, shops, and tons of mexican restaurants. We walked through some cool little museums, the haunted Whaley House, and my favorite--vintage general stores and candy stores. 
















We stopped and got flavored hand made tortillas--strawberry and cinnamon.



Next, we headed to the Gaslamp Quarter. The Gaslamp Quarter is a mix of Nashville, Franklin (TN), Birmingham and St. Petersburg (FL). BUT, much cleaner and the amazing weather ofcourse. The Gaslamp is filled with main stream shops, a lot of great restaurants, theaters, and Horton Plaza--basically a mall.




After we shopped around Gaslamp and ate dinner (I had delicious lobster tacos) we headed back to our Inn. And did we get back at the perfect time or what? Beautiful sunset with the silhouettes of palm trees lining the street.







We got back in time for wine & cheese that is served every night at our Inn.






I do love skeleton keys--which are used throughout the whole Inn.



More pictures via Instagram from my iPhone

Yeah, Im obsessed with the tub. 




my go-to plane ride drink, ginger ale and cranberry juice, my favorite!






lace curtains- my absolute favorite

our towel warmer rack - YES please
dining room
my dream bathroom, seriously cant get enough of this gorgeous tub
\
Foyer






To sum up the day, it was perfect. And it was just day 1. Everywhere we went people were SO nice--I just wanted to give everyone a hug. You can tell everyone is so open minded and a lot less judgmental than in the south to say the least. We had multiple people tell us "Good luck not falling in love with San Diego" -- yeah, didnt happen. I feel at home here and dont want to leave. If I could only bring all my amazing friends and family with me to live here then I would have no problem. But, I can tell Im going to end up in Cali--not sure when, but I am. Tomorrow, we are off to Venice beach and Los Angeles!

No comments:

Post a Comment